Thursday, January 14, 2010

Life Change!

Rance and I have started The Game On! Diet with 13 other friends!

I participated in the game back in December with a group of friends and absolutely loved it!

The reason: the principles taught rang true because of my upbringing. Most of you know that my father was diagnosed with Glomerulonephritis when I was in kindergarten (don't ask how long ago that was!) He almost died at that time but was approached by two "angels" who taught him about nutrition and healthy living. Back then they would have been referred to as "health nuts"! Dad went on to fully embrace many of the things this book talks about...giving up refined sugar and enriched flour, eating raw veggies when possible (in fact, Dad went on a raw veggie diet in the beginning...I remember him chomping on potatoes!), eating whole grains and much, much more. He dragged his family along with him, kicking & screaming, I might add! Giving up cold cereal was not very fun. And his wheat pancakes were enough to fill you up for days.
After following this plan during my first game, I realized how much better I feel when I make these healthy choices. And when I give in to cravings, I literally feel like CRAP! Bonus...I've lost those extra pounds that I've put on over the past few years!! I am a believer!
In a nutshell, every day is worth 100 points. You eat 5 meals a day that are worth 6 points each. If you flub up a meal, it's not the end of the world...you just don't get those 6 points. You earn 20 points by exercising at least 20 minutes. 15 points are available if you sleep 7+ hours. Drink 3 liters of water each day and earn 10 points. At the beginning of the game, each player chooses an unhealthy habit to break during the 4 weeks of play and if you eliminate that habit each day, you get 10 points. Also, each player chooses a healthy habit to incorporate into their lives. Do that healthy habit and earn 10 points. Lastly, we communitcate with our team mates and the opposing team each day for 5 points. It might sound complicated, but it really isn't or I wouldn't do it!! It's just fun to play! And the best part for me, it doesn't cost anything! Especially if the team I'm on wins! Because at the beginning of each game, the teams agree on a prize to play for!! It's just good, clean fun!

3 comments:

Andria Thatcher said...

Extra pounds? What extra pounds? Good grief, woman, you've had five kids and still look like a model!!

Sheryl said...

Ditto to what Andria said! Sounds very interesting. Hope you kick some butt!

Jessica said...

Thanks for introducing me to it! It's hard at times but worth it :-)