Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Memories of Grandma & Grandpa - Supplement

Since I was traveling yesterday I didn't get to participate with the others in FHE. I did write my thoughts down in my notebook while on the plane though. So here is my contribution to our memories of our grandparents.

Grandmommy
My favorite memory of Grandmommy is so prominent in my mind that I have a hard time picturing her in any other way. Whenever I think of her my thoughts instinctively go to her greeting us as we arrived from our long drives to her house. I cannot remember a time that she was not waiting at the door to greet us when we arrived. We would drive into the driveway and go in through the side door. She would be in the kitchen there next to the stove as you stepped up into the kitchen from the doorway. She always required a hug. Regardless of my age or how far down I had to stoop to hug her with her crooked back, she would wrap me up in her arms and tell me to give her some sugar, followed by kisses on the neck and cheek. Once the embraces were done, our attention would turn immediately to what she had on the stove to eat. Hot or cold, fresh or from the day before, there was always some kind of food on the stove - always tasting better than it should simply because it was on her stove. The love I feel with memories of the heartfelt welcome in Grandmommy's kitchen can only be surpassed as I think of a similar welcome she will give me the next time I see her.

Granddaddy
I don't remember why our whole family didn't go on this trip but as I remember, it was only Ryan and I that went with Grandmommy, Granddaddy, Uncle Curt, Lunts, and Paramores to a reservoir fishing and camping. Uncle Curt hauled both the tent trailer and the boat behind his truck. My favorite part was out on the boat trolling with Granddaddy. I was always amazed at the incredible assortment of silver, gold, and red tackle on the end of those lines. I don't think the fish were actually any bigger or fought harder than others I had caught but it always seemed that way when we were trolling. On the shore we fished with wads of very stinky cheese that was specially prepared for the trip, or with some of the Georgia Jumpers from Granddaddy's worm farm. We caught more fish that trip than I had ever before or probably ever will.

Other memories of Grandmommy & Granddaddy
Granddaddy sitting in his chair over by the window with the air conditioner watching TV.
Chinese checkers.
That shiny leather couch in the basement that folded down like a futon couch.
Climbing the big tree in the back yard.
Playing the car game sitting on the curb in front of their house.
The make-shift shower on the wooden pallet in the basement.
Grandmommy's hands as she mixed and kneaded biscuit dough in the wooden bowl with the flour.
How fun it was for us kids and how angry it made Dad when Granddaddy was drinking.

Grandma
When I think of Grandma in the Sacramento house I think of her sitting at the table in the dining room just off the kitchen playing scrabble with Mom and with us. When I think of her in Spokane I think of her standing at the kitchen sink doing the dishes as we came home from school or wherever. No matter how much noise I tried to make as I approached, she would always get startled and jump when I finally made it to her to say hi. After she died, I loved going to visit Aunt Midge just because I could see and hear and remember Grandma again.

Grandpa
I have two favorite memories of Grandpa. The first is putting walnuts out on the fence beside their house in Sacramento, then waiting and watching for the squirrels to come and get them. The other is going with him as he collected newspapers and took them to the recycle center for the church. He impressed me with his willingness to serve and the work he did.

Other memories of Grandma and Grandpa
Sleeping out in the screened porch off the garage in Sacramento, playing with the old guns on the wall.
Going to the park down the street to feed the ducks.
Grandma with one foot in the canoe at a lake near Spokane and the other on the rock, the canoe sliding further and further out, Grandma going straight down into the water, then seeing nothing but her hat floating on the water.
Building a fire in the formal living room in the Sacramento house.
Looking at Grandpa's coin collection in the trunk in their basement.
Picking fresh grapefruit from the tree by the driveway.

No comments: