Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Olivia's Bright Idea


Olivia and I cooked Sunday dinner...a yummy soup recipe that I got from our good friend Julie Brewer. It's called Savory Vegetable Ribolitta. I'll type it out at the end of this post. Anyway, Olivia was bored after church so I told her that she was welcome to help me slice & dice the veggies. She did a great job until she got to the onion. I warned her that she would cry but she didn't believe me. When her eyes started to water, she ran out of the room. I thought she wouldn't be back but she came back with a solution! And it worked! It was so fun to work together. She turned nine today. LaMonte and I had lunch with her today...we brought her some sushi, her favorite food, and cupcakes for her class. She'll have a big birthday bash this Friday night.

Savory Vegetable Ribolitta

Ribolitta is a Tuscan-style bean and cabbage soup. It is traditionally thickened with bread such as toasted croutons or crostini, the Italian word for toast.

1 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup chopped celery
2/3 cup sliced carrot
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cans (19 oz. each) white kidney beans, rinsed & drained
32 oz. chicken broth
2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained (I used the tomatoes Mom & I canned from my garden last year and added Italian seasoning)
4 cups chopped Savoy or Napa cabbage
1/2 cup each diced sweet red pepper and zucchini
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Crostini (recipe below) or toasted croutons
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan over low heat, cook onion, celery, carrot and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, chicken broth, tomatoes, cabbage, red pepper, zucchini and thyme. Cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender and flovors are blended, about 20 minutes. To serve, place crostini in each soup bowl and ladle soup into the bowl. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.

Crostini: To prepare crostini, combine 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning if desired. Cut one laof of Italian bread into 1-inch slices. Brush olive oil mixture on one side of bread. Arrange bread on baking sheet, coated side up. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.

You will love this soup on a cold fall/winter day!!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That Olivia is one smart cookie!! Grant's looking forward to her birthday bash on Halloween!!

LaDawn said...

Olivia is looking forward to it too!! I think it is going to be so fun. I'm glad she wanted to do this...I can't wait to watch them play "Murder in the Dark".

Joanna said...

she is so cute! and that soup sounds delicious!